Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Review: Forever (Shiver #3)



Title: Forever (Shiver #3)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Rating: 4/5 stars

Goodreads summary:
In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. In Linger, they fought to be together. Now, in Forever, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.


My review:

I feel like it took me too long to read this book. I was really looking forward to a good read after I finished Linger and in the end came out a little disappointed. Sam and Grace are ultimately trying to figure out how to stay together, and keep the pack safe simultaneously.

Throughout this whole series I feel like Sam was just a broken down-spirited person, and that's not how I wanted to picture him. Every time I picture him he has a pained looked on his face. I know he's been through a lot but I didn't like this image, and I feel it's what he was portrayed as. I didn't picture him as the strong heroic type, well I did a little but a broken, sad, heroic type.

I think things were drawn out too much in the story. I think too many moods were described and things could have been cut down a lot.

The ending could have done more for me. I know she left it pretty much open so you can get what you want out of it. Maybe she will return to it later? (Even though I think not because she said goodbye to the series at the end of the book). But I can only hope. Because there are still way too many 'what ifs' for me. I want to know what happens. I don't want to be left guessing. The ending also confused me somewhat. I feel like there definitely should have been another book with that ending. It ended right in the middle of a scene is what is felt like. I couldn't read Sam's emotions and I couldn't even tell what was happening completely. ****spoiler... where was she going? If she was just turning into a wolf to be changed she shouldn't be a wolf that long then, right? *******

Lastly, I wish there was more Cole and Isabel! I loved reading Isabel's parts the best, probably because with her (and Cole) you had to read in between the lines. What they were thinking and feeling wasn't laid out for you and I liked that. That's why I found Sam's thoughts and emotions so tediously described at points - because it's fun to figure people out! I loved Cole and Isabel though. ***spoiler, it'd be great to get a spin off story about them!!****

Sadly, this book didn't deliver as much as I was hoping. Not a bad series though.

No comments:

Post a Comment