Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Review: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)

Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Rating: 5 of 5 stars!


Goodreads Summary:
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. 

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. 

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now. 

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior. 

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting asThe Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.



My Take:
WOW. Really, just, WOW. 

One of my top three favorite books of the year. 

There was a lot of hype going around this book so it made me excited to read it, and worried that I wouldn't like it as much as I was hoping I would. Well, there was no need for me to worry. I loved it! 

Juliette: I found a lot of things interesting about this book, but one of the biggest things I liked is that we don't know everything Juliette is capable of from the beginning. We know why she's locked up, and so does she, but there's more hidden underneath that she unleashes throughout the book. 
A couple of times I thought Juliette's character was a little off, but it was only when she was so forward with Adam. They have huge sexual chemistry, and tension for that matter, and some of the things she said seemed to go against her reserved nature. 

Writing: I think a lot of people are going to say this book isn't good because of the writing. There is a lot of repetition from Juliette when she feels strong emotions and I thought they were annoying at first, but I can to see it as her personality. 
I do think that the sentences or phrases crossed out didn't need to be. They are a vital part of the story. A couple time I actually skipped over them and then realized I shouldn't and it messed up my reading. 
Both of these just make the book awesome though because they fit. 

Romance: The romance in this book is great. It's not a love triangle per se but there's elements of one. Although I don't doubt Juliette and her man, there's a voice in the back of my head wondering if she is just dying for attention from anyone. I think she's confused about the man that tries to bind her. Sometimes I think she's attracted to him too. 

The World: I can't imagine how society would get this way. I was confused about how all of this could happen but they explain it a little better at the end. 

Adam: One of my new favorite fictional boyfriends. Oh, yea. He's a Soldier, compassionate, and a family man. Seriously, my heart is swooning :] 

Minor characters: I fell in love with some of the minor characters even more than I did Juliette! Kenjie is halarious and James is so adorable! 

The End - spoiler free: My favorite part. There's no happily ever after here, but it's still satisfying. Thankfully, there will be another book. Juliette finds herself someone she didn't even know existed. She isn't completely sure how she feels about being there, and I think a lot of the next book is going to take place here. Well, ok, maybe I'm just hoping it will! It seems so gosh darn interesting there!! 

Second book, you are toooooo farrrrr awayyyyyy :{



Seriously people, I wouldn't want to miss this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment