Thursday, December 1, 2011

Review: Nightshade (Nightshade #1)


 Title: Nightshade (Nightshade #1)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Rating: 4.5 of 5 stars


First, I just have to say that this is probably one of my favorite covers ever! Beautiful!

Goodreads Summary:
Calla Tor has always known her desinty: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essense of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything - including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?

My Take:
I could not stop reading this book. I don't know why but I didn't think it would be that amazing when I picked it up, maybe because of this unjustified presumption it made me love the book more? All I know is I read late into the night because I like to read, this wasn't for that reason, this simply was because I couldn't stop.


Calla (Lily - nickname) is a strong female lead and it's really refreshing because she doesn't depend on anyone, and when Ren (her soon to be mate) or any man try to control her, she gets pissed. Granted, she is an alpha. But throughout the book she's basically trying to decide if she should follow one part of her heart and protect a boy she shouldn't, or follow the other side and be with the one, and the pack, she's supposed to be with.


It was hard for me to see Calla's attraction to Shey. She knew nothing about him and at times to me it felt like she really only liked him because she was written to. There could have been a smoother transition into this romance. However, the romance between Ren and her felt completely natural, even though they really seem to fight at times. To me there seems to be huge sexual chemistry there, and I can't figure out why Calla doesn't see it. 
I'm just going to state that I'm all for Ren. If Calla doesn't want him I'll gladly take him :D


The plot was intriguing because this seems like a very original werewolf story. (technically they aren't werewolves, but Guardians) There is a story about love but there's an overarching theme of pack and loyalty.  There are also the Keepers, who are basically the Guardians providers and leaders, and the Searchers, who are the enemies of the Keepers, therefore enemies of the Guardians as well.


I knew the ending because I accidently read something somewhere, but if I hadn't, it's quit a cliffhanger!  All I can say is that I was so frustrated with some of the decisions made near the end of the book that I almost didn't even want to read Wolfsbane. That changed though because I can't give up on these characters, they are a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment