Sunday, December 4, 2011

Review: Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2)


Title: Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Rating: 3 of 5 stars 


Goodreads description:
When Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemies, she's certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer, one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack and the man she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedon? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destinry, Calla must decide which battles and worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.


My Take:
This was a huge disappointment. I loved Nightshade and was looking forward to this novel, but sadly, I was not impressed. I'll do this review as a list.


1. The first half of the book was a huge history lesson mixed with a bunch of new characters. Basically, way too much information and characters all at once. Especially since the new characters were the ones telling the history of the Guardians, Keepers, and Searchers. Meeting a couple characters is fine but we meet a lot of them. And they all take part in the action of the story. Seriously in the first half there was one action scene - the rest history. Boring. 


2. There was too much bantering going on between the new characters. I understood they were all like family and I think Cremer was trying to assimilate us into their culture quickly but it was too much for me. I couldn't keep characters straight and all of the off-topic things they would throw into conversations confused me even more.


3. A couple of characters made some choices that didn't make me so happy. Particularly since the choices seemed out of character for them. What happened between Calla and Shay in the garden and then what Ren did when they found him. Both left my mouth hanging wide open. 


4. Shay changes a lot. I always thought of Shay as a nice guy. He wants my first pick for Calla but I thought that if she ended up with him I could deal with it. Not anymore. I swear the only thing he wants from Calla in this book is her body. It's ridiculous. 
Ok, he wants her safe too, but that's so he can have her body.


5. Calla. This girl just keeps getting worse. It's ok that you may love two different men but you know what you ultimately want. Stop toying with the idea of being with both. I really think Cremer is going to stick Calla with Shay at the end and I think she's just keeping thoughts about Ren around for a love traingle thing. Just let Ren go. Seriously, I would like the story better if you would quit getting my hopes up. It's obvious Calla wants Shay. Quit trying to keep the love triangle.


Even though I wasn't happy with the story, there were still things I did like.


- The new characters we meet. After, finally, getting them all straight, there are a lot of characters I grew to love. I would LOVE to read a book about Cooner and Adne's past life. Or just a chapter from their POVs. Seriously, Connor is a kick-ass character. So light hearted, charming and sly. He's fun! 


- The second half of the book did have some good action. Once things started rolling it didn't stop, which was great. There were sad parts and shocking parts. Both of which I was happy with (even the sad parts because you feel something finally after all that history!)


- The Searchers were fun people. Even though the Searchers can kick some serious ass of their own, they are compelling bunch. They were seriously a family and it was interesting to see their different powers. Especially the Weavers!


I will still read the third book. Even though I think I know how things will end up, especially with who Calla will be choosing, I'm still curious as to what will happen with all the characters. I seriously want to see Connor, Adne, Ethan, and Sabine make some moves! Honestly too, I'm hoping that Ren finds someone - even if it's not Calla. Maybe he'll find someone better because Calla's really making me mad.


I can say if there's a spinoff with some of the Searchers, I would definitely read that.


Read this book or don't. Your call. 

1 comment:

  1. The reader will love discovering the different twists and history behind this elaborate plot with Calla. Ren's father...may not be his father, Shay's history is slowly revealed, and there are many secondary characters whose stories some to light. Calla learns more about the background behind her shifting as well.

    ReplyDelete