Monday, October 10, 2011

Review: Hourglass (Hourglass #1)


Title: Hourglass
Author: Myra McEntire
Rating: 4/5 stars

Goodreads Description:

One hour to rewrite the past . . . 


For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.
So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.
Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?


Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.


My Review:
This book was very enjoyable. McEntire really made Emerson come to life by giving us an inside into so much of her past. Emerson has had a rough life so far, having been hospitalized after having both parents die. It was actually nice to see a character broken and depressed at some points like Emerson was. You don't read many YA stories to this extent of mental stability issues and I liked the change.

Michael was a fun character because he's so charming. He's a little mysterious and I even really like his good friend Kaleb. In fact, Kaleb could be the main guy in this novel and I'm sure I would have loved every minute of it. While Michael's a good guy, Kaleb is witty and extremely charming.

This is only the second book I've read about time travel. The first being The Time Traveler's Wife, and even though I saw a huge resemblance at one point, it didn't make me this this story was unoriginal. There was more time travel then I expected, and these people could actually, kind of change the future. Emerson could also see things because of her ability to travel and do other things (which we didn't even really learn about all she can do yet).

I do have to say that at one point a mention of sex blindsided me. I didn't think it was really needed and I couldn't really figure out why it was put in there. It wasn't even with the main character, it was with minor characters.

Overall, I would recommend the book and will be reading the sequel! 


No comments:

Post a Comment