Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Review: Sweep, Volume 1


Title: Sweep, Volume 1
Author: Cate Tiernan
Rating: 2/5 stars

Goodreads Summary:
The first three Sweep books bound into one gorgeous edition at a fabulous price! Morgan Rowlands never thought she was anything other than a typical sixteen-year-old girl. But when she meets Cal, a captivatingly handsome coven leader, she makes a discover that turns her whole world upside down: she is a witch, descended from an ancient and powerful line. And so is Cal. Their connection is immediate and unbreakable; Cal teases out Morgan's power, her love, her magick. But Morgan discovers too soon that her powers are strong - almost too powerful to control. And she begins to suspect that Cal may be keeping secrets from her . . . secrets that could destroy them both.

My Review:
Book One
The characters are a little hard to get to know. I can't really get connected to them and I'm SO confused as to why Morgan is completely infatuated with Cal besides his good looks. He seems really sweet but honestly, he doesn't have much personality. It's almost like he just obsesses over Wicca and that about sums up his life.


Of course he's attracted to Morgan but I wish I could see more emotion from him. When we do see it, it's almost out of the blue.


The book is also a little too descriptive for me. I like to use my imagination so I don't want everything described. And I don't want to know everyones names, especially if we aren't going to meet them again.


It is interesting to learn about the Wicca stuff though. It almost reminds me of The House of Night Series by P.C. and Kristin Cast.


Book Two
I can't understand how Morgan already feels so strongly about Cal. I mean all she talks about really is his good looks. Why else does she like him?


Book Three
The text keeps repeating itself. Like we forgot what happened 100 pages ago so we keep needed reminded. This even bothers me when authors do this from one book to another, I understand there's technically 3 books in this paperback, but lets get real, it's one book, therefore, no need to recite info.


Overall, the story was just ok. The characters were different and not bad, but I didn't fall in love with them. My friend started reading it right after I was done and she's hooked, but I wasn't. I'll probably continue the book but just because I'm curious and already have them. I'm hoping the series gets better! It's not all together awful, just don't think it was one for me to love.


On a side note I also had a lot of trouble understanding where the text in the beginning of the chapters always came from. Since they were different characters it confused me a little and I didn't think it was always necessary. Unless they are foreshadowing.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment