Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review: Shift (Shade #2)


Title: Shift (Shade #2)
Author: Jeri Smith-Ready
Rating: 4/5 stars

Goodreads Summary:
Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.
Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.


As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart.


My Review:
This book starts out with a bang. Within the first chapter you find out something special that Logan can do, and I was absolutely shocked! I thought it would be cool if that happened, but I never really expected it to.


This book is full of action. There are so many emotions flying through Aura that I don't always follow her. I just remind myself she's a raging hormonal teenager and then everything's ok again. For example, all the instances of sex, or I should say almost sex, in this book. For being a YA book, this book is full of them. It almost makes it seem like that's all the character want to do half the time. Aura ends up kissing someone and it caught me off guard. I never expected THAT relationship to happen.


I'm a big fan of the series but I can't relate to the characters all that well. I love them, especially Zachary, *swoon* but there's not enough in these books to make me love them. I will say Zachary and Logan seem like pretty consistent characters, but Aura is pulled in so many directions. It was unpleasant, but I liked that the author took the chance to make one of the guys go for someone other then Aura. Sticking solely to someone you like is great to read about - it usually makes me love that character more because of their avoidance of unyielding desires - but it's not always practical. It seemed the author made her character a little more real that way.


Overall, there's still a lot of questions I want answered that I hope will get answered in the third book. Like can other ghosts do what Logan can? Was it only because of Aura he could do it? And why the heck do the government, shifter stopper, people always want Aura and Zachary?


Can't wait for the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment