Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

So this is the book that I've been anxiously away for FOREVER it feels like. I finally got a chance to read it and here's my opinion!


Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkins
Rating: 3.5 stars


Goodreads Summary:
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.


It can.


She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.


There is.


She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.


She's wrong.


My Review:
Throughout this whole book I was just kind of thinking 'What the hell is going on?!' Even though that's what I was thinking, it didn't keep me from enjoying the story.


Mara has no idea what is going on with her, and it's blatantly obvious we aren't supposed to figure it out. Hodkin makes it nearly impossible to figure out what is happening to Mara. While it's frustrating throughout the book, I'm thinking it's a major plot player because we still haven't figured it out by the end of the book. Thankfully, there's another coming!


I think being so vague about what's up with Mara is going to push a lot of people into not enjoying this book. For me, it annoyed me but at the same time I couldn't stop reading. I was so intrigued as to what the heck this girl is about.


Of course there's great romance - Noah is a great guy. I don't know why but when a guy is gorgeous and rich it really irks me. Not all great guys have to be rich. In this story it helps that he is, but still it bothers me a little. I hate it when guys are too perfect. He does have the bad boy thing going on tho - I liked that. He's doesn't care that he's rich at least :) The part that got me about him was that he always stared (if it's this book I'm remembering, I wrote this review a little later) - that would creep me out just a little.


Overall great read. Would recommend if you like mind game or mental health books. You aren't sure if Mara has mental problems or if she really has a super ability, well at least half way through. Something happens that really makes you think one way over the other, but I'm not a spoiler!


It's not one of the book I'll read over and over again but I liked it.


I only gave this a 3.5 because I'm still a little confused and I'm not honestly sure how it made me feel. Hopefully the next book will clear things up so I can like it more.


Awaiting the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment