Sunday, September 18, 2011

Review: Beg For Mercy (Cambion Series #1)




Title: Beg For Mercy (A Cambion Series #1)

Author: Shannon Dermott

Rating: 5/5 stars

Goodreads description:
Everyone dreams of that first kiss. Of that magic moment when your lips finally meet those of that special person you’ve waited your whole life for. A little awkward, a little scary, a little hot and every bit amazing. We speculate that the whole world will shake and time will just stop. No one, however, ever imagines that kiss to bring Death himself knocking.


Sixteen year old Mercy Moore's life just got more complicated. The kiss that originally could have meant she would finally have a boyfriend now was the kiss that could have very nearly ended his life. A small detail her mother conveniently never told her will take her life for an abrupt u-turn. Dating, no love, was now completely and utterly impossible. And the boy well, that boy would never be the same.


But life, however cruel, goes on. Far too soon for her taste, Mercy finds herself at a senior party with the elite students of her school and her best friend. And of all things, playing a stupid game that could very well mean the death of someone in that small room. If it were not for her best friend, the hottest guys in school, and a small need to fit in, she may have been able to escape the disaster that was to come. Her worst nightmare, her personal curse, her very life, only gets dangerously worse.

My Review:

One of my favorite books so far this year - amazing!


The story is about a girl, Mercy, who is learning to live life as a Succubus. This proves to be very challenging since her mother won't teach her a thing. The only thing she knows for sure is that if she kisses someone, they could die - her best friend Luke had a personal experience with this. I have to say that I've only ever read about Succubui & Incubui from the Beautiful Creatures Series but even though them I didn't learn a lot. We, along with Mercy, learn quit a bit about their nature here and I can tell there's even more to learn!


This book is long, very long (I'm guessing about 600 pages) and I read the whole thing in 2 days it was so good! You can preview the first 5 chapters online and when you do you'll probably get sucked in just as I did.


Since Mercy doesn't know a lot about controlling herself yet, it's really fun to watch her try. She literally has an inner demon who seems to control her life at some points, which makes situations bad for her but interesting for us. Particularly when it comes to the men. And there's A LOT of different men in her life.


One thing I really enjoyed about this book was that there wasn't a love triangle or even two people working towards one love. Mercy was exploring her teenage inhibitions and with all the hot men running around it definitely kept me interested. I must admit that I have a soft spot in my heart for Luke, even though I understand they aren't really right for each other. This isn't really a spoiler unless you don't want to know much about the other guys but some ppl might want to read the whole book before I say why I wouldn't choose the others: ***spoiler** Flynn is too fickle for me and what he did at the end I thought was awful (why try to break up something good? and to your best friend!), also the bad boy thing is done too much. De don't know enough about Sebastian (even though I can't wait to learn more!) and Paul well, I like him but I just don't think he's right for her. ***spoiler*** I do want to say that at first I couldn't believe she was getting so many guys. It was a bit unrealistic to me, but then I thought about the raging teenage hormones and it made a little more sense. It didn't say this in the book either, but I think her succubus has a lot to do with all the lust floating around.


There are a lot of characters that I can't wait to get to know more - especially the dauntingly mysterious Sebastian and even Mercy herself. Because even though we were in her head the whole time I still don't feel like I know her very well. She choose to ignore things I didn't think she would, or maybe I just wouldn't have, but I think it did help the plot flow that way.


My biggest problem with the book was all the errors throughout but once those are fixed this book will be golden!


After talking with Shannon, it seems like we are in for a long ride with these characters and I can't wait for the next book!! Sorry this review is a tid bit long but I could talk about this book all day. :)


Bottom line: if you love YA, crazy romances, paranormal, Indie author, or any combo of those, then you'll love this book too!





This button is from Electrifying Reviews




1 comment: