Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: Beautiful Disaster




Title: Beautiful Disaster

Author: Julie McGuire

Rating: 5/5 stars



Goodreads Summary:
The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.


Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’ apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.


My Review:


This book kept me interested the whole time, however, there were just some parts that I found unbelieveable - not completely, but I was just like 'really? that wouldn't happen'. Not enough that I disliked the story though. I obviously loved the story since I read this 500 page book in a day!


The characters were so realistic I would love to meet them in person. Travis was fun because he was a badass fighter and Abby was great because I felt her emotions were real.


The romance in this story wasn't black and white. The characters changed their minds and situations caused different emotions to come out. The whole story wasn't just a romance about a couple who couldn't be together. It was about a couple with problems - real problems - and even though I thought some of the reasoning was stupid, people make stupid decisions in real life all the time. I really admired the great way Ms. McGuire made her characters come to life!


I understood in the beginning that Abby was supposed to be all sweet and innocent but I feel like she lost all that too quickly. I don't think someone goes to such extremes as quick as she did. That was one of my problems.


Also, I was frustrated that Abby's family situation, and where she found herself sometimes as a child, were a tid unrealistic to me.


Overall, I would suggest the story and I will probably reread it again, because there's so much I know I didn't catch it all. Would definitely recommend for a comtemporary romance!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment